Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Lavender Lemon Scones


I don't have a whole lot to say, but these scones were outstanding. Normally I have pretty good self-control when it comes to food, but I ate three (or was it four?) of these babies in one sitting. They're just very light, and yummy.

I feel like scones are supposed to puff up a little more than mine did. Which, now that I'm typing out the recipe, I realize I accidentally left out the baking powder. Fortunately the texture wasn't dense at all.

My coworkers approved of these.

Lavender Lemon Scones

Adapted slightly from Bon Appetit
Yield: 16 servings
Printer-friendly

Ingredients
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1-1/2 tsp. dried lavender buds
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. buttermilk, divided
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest (the zest of one lemon)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 Tbsp. sanding or granulated sugar (I used 1 Tbsp. granulated)
1-1/2 cups store-bought lemon curd (I left this out)

Directions
Preheat oven to 425. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Whisk 3 cups flour and next 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add butter; mix with a pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal.

Whisk 1 cup buttermilk, lemon zest, and vanilla in a small bowl. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Stir until shaggy dough forms. (Can I just say I like the term "shaggy dough"?)

Transfer to a lightly floured surface; knead until dough forms, about 5 turns. Pat into a 10x6" rectangle. Halve dough lengthwise into two squares. Cut each half crosswise into 4 squares. Cut each square diagonally in half into 2 triangles. Divide between baking sheets. Brush with 2 Tbsp. buttermilk. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
Bake until scones are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 13-15 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool.

Serve warm or at room temperature (warm is best!), with lemon curd if desired.

Nutrition info is available on Bon Appetit's site; calories and sugar will definitely be lower if you leave out the lemon curd like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment