Sunday, July 15, 2012

Chicken Peach Quesa-pitas


This recipe was my favorite way to use up Honey and Lavender Crock Pot Chicken. I suspected that the flavors in which I cooked the chicken would pair well with the flavors in this quesadilla recipe. And, if I may say so myself, I was right. If using honey lavender chicken, I'd go with Monterey Jack cheese; if using regular chicken, I think the pepper Jack would be better.


You could certainly use tortillas, as the original recipe calls for. I simply had pitas on hand, so that's what I used.

I almost skipped the honey-lime sour cream element, and I'm really glad I didn't. The sour cream added a additional layer of flavor which was quite good. You could probably substitute plain Greek yogurt for the sour cream.


Chicken Peach Quesa-pitas

Adapted slightly from Cooking Light
Yield: 2 servings

Ingredients
1/2 tsp. honey
1/4 tsp. lime juice
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
2 whole wheat pitas, cut in half
Approx. 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Monterey Jack or pepper Jack cheese
1/2 cup cooked, cubed chicken         
1 peach, thinly sliced
2-4 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
Combine honey, lime juice, and sour cream, stirring well with a whisk or fork. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

Preheat a George Foreman grill. Spray the both sides of the pita pockets with olive oil cooking spray.

Fill each pita pocket half with 1/4 of the remaining ingredients—cheese, chicken, peaches, cilantro, and more cheese. Grill each pocket half in the George Foreman for 3-5 minutes, until pita is toasted and cheese is melted. Serve with the honey-lime sour cream.

Results
Fresh and summery. Quick and easy to throw together. Doesn't heat up the house. Delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment